Monday, July 22, 2013

The Eighth (and the week following it.)

Dear Central Park,
Come back to Michigan with me?
Think about it.
Another monday, another week at SAP Inwood!
The week started as smoothly and uneventfully as the week before. As unnerving as it was, it was extremely nice! The day went fast and the next I knew I was at Malecon (Malecon!) for Malecon monday with the new missions groups. Good times, man. Good times.

Tuesday, like many before it and many to come, meant Costco day with the fantastic BobbiJo. This time she brought along two SYEP workers from the Heights location with her so they could get more hours, so we each claimed one to drive a flat-bed for us (costco flatbeds are the devil!) and set out to conquer the store. This was all very good and well, but then right there, in the middle of the produce section, the guy who was sent to come with me starts asking me questions about Jesus. He's extremely atheistic, but he initiated the whole conversation. It was fairly intense and I know that I fumbled over my wording about ten times over, but I'm confident God can use my words regardless.

Wednesday is field trip day here at OE, and so by 10 AM, all the kids, volunteers and tutors were off on three big buses to the Liberty Science Center while Hannah and I lamented our fortunes for being admin and therefore unable to go. To add to the unnerving quiet in the building, our internet was out, thus rendering 9 out of 10 projects we had to get done obsolete. By 2 PM, we'd officially gone absolutely insane. I'm still not entirely sure how we made it through the afternoon, but I recall it involved Hannah chasing an ice cream truck.
We don't cope well with the quiet.

Thursday, like tuesday, was a "drive-to-the-Bronx-and-conquer-Costco" type of day, followed by some mopping up of miscellaneous projects back at Inwood before catching up with the mission groups over homemade mac and cheese back the the Washington Heights Exodus. Just hearing some of the stories of how God threw one of the groups together was amazing! It has been super weird to be on the flipside of the "one-week-trip group" experience, but it's always pretty neat to see, even from afar (as I don't get to interact with the groups often) what happens in and through their lives in their service.

Friday was a pretty typical day. It's strange to think that I have such a thing as a typical day here now, but apparently I do. It passed quietly and productively, as things as Exodus go, and in the evening, Hannah and I wandered around the Heights a little before enjoying a pizza/movie date back in the S.C.A. (Stereotypically Crappy Apartment.) 'Twas loverly!

The AMTRAK center in Penn Station.
Saturday was a very strange day, very long day, and while I'm still not entirely sure I understood what all happened and when or why, I know it involved the 9/11 memorial, Wall St, the east side of Central Park, a waffle truck, picking up a mission group at Penn Station, the mission group accidentally getting split between two trains, a little bit of freaking out, the group being just fine despite aforementioned freaking, creating a ghetto bus-route to Target to supplement for the fact that the correct train wasn't running within a 40 clock radius of me either way, buying air mattresses, dropping air mattresses off at the MTW apartments, and a late night dinner and Duane Reade (Duane Reade!) run with a friend. To say "phew!" would be lazy writing, but...phew!

New York, I know I said I wouldn't let you steal my heart, but...
Sunday, like all sundays, began with Church, a visit to a few cute stores in the neighborhood (the Flatiron district is my favorite!) before going to do perhaps the ultimate tourist activity, going to the observation deck of the Empire State Building. I loved it! I normally hate heights, but I honestly loved it. I was, however, exhausted by the previous day's adventurings, and thus I went home straight after the Empire State Building to take a three hour nap. Not the most effective use of free time, but dang it all if it didn't feel great!

 Third week of July recap coming at you shortly, and maybe, if I can find the correct wording...bonus posts? WHATTTTTTTTTTTT?!

No comments:

Post a Comment